Skip to content

Mold Cleaning

Mold and mildew are vegetative growths and NOT a type of dirt to be cleaned. It is produced by a tiny plant of the fungus family. It can sprout on most surfaces, especially if a food source is present for the mini fungi to thrive on, specifically on paper and wood. Additionally, mildew can grow on the dirt and soil in damp conditions. Mold spores (seeds) exist everywhere and will grow when the conditions are right.

The optimal conditions for growth are 77 degrees to 88 degrees Fahrenheit temperature; moisture of 70 to 98 percent relative humidity; dark and poorly ventilated environments. Like a weed growing on your front lawn, mold and mildew must be killed by an effective, acknowledged E.P.A. registered disinfectant cleaner making mold and mildew claims.

The Environmental Protection Agency oversees and tests all chemicals that make claims to kill any living organism, such as insecticides, herbicides, algaecides, sanitizers, disinfectants, and rodenticides. An E.P.A. registration number on the label attests to the fact that if the product is used exactly as directed, the promised ‘kill’ factor that is claimed will take place with the least amount of harm to the environment while applying the product with the most precautionary measures.

Your first line of attack is undiluted hydrogen peroxide, an oxidizing agent like chlorine bleach, and should kill the mildew on contact within several minutes. However, hydrogen peroxide is a far safer substitute. Its chemical formulation is H2O2. As the excess molecule of oxygen is released during the oxidizing process, H2O (water) remains as its residue. Just apply, agitate with a stiff brush, allow chemical to sit for 10 to 15 minutes, and wipe clean. If problems persist, repeat the process several times and allow it to air dry.

One of the least expensive mildew removers is common household bleach like “CLOROX.” Mix 1 part bleach with 3 parts water in a spray bottle. Wear rubber gloves and goggles. Place an inexpensive drop cloth onto the floor for protection since chlorine bleach will leave white bleach spots. Spray solution onto affected areas, agitate with a scrub brush or stiff pad. Allow to stand for several minutes. Wipe down with a damp cloth. Then, thoroughly rinse areas with clean water.

Thanks for subscribing!

This email has been registered!

Shop the look

Choose Options

Edit Option
this is just a warning
Shopping Cart
0 items