problem you describe indicates that most if not all of the health
problems you indicate are associated with your house. The variety
of symptoms you report is unusual. The respiratory symptoms would
be consistent with exposure to allergens such as mold, dog, cat,
dust mite or some type of irritant chemical. The eczema appears
to be due to a contact dermatitis and is likely to be independent
of the other symptoms. The carpet is a prominent suspect.
only contaminant that I know of that has been associated with sleeping
problems is formaldehyde (released from particleboard, plywood,
medium-density fiberboard, cabinets and a number of biocides). Formaldehyde
can also cause respiratory symptoms.
hair padding underneath the carpet is not common. I assume that
it is horsehair. If that's the case, I would expect that it has
been treated with a biocide. Most biocides are not a problem, but
some do release formaldehyde.
paleness, gray coloring in your complexions is unusual (I have never
heard of it before). It suggests that you may be exposed to something
different from the normal type of problems one runs into.
aspects of your house are potentially significant, its old age and
recent renovation, both of these have the potential for contributing
to health complaints. Any house with that long history may experience
water damage and mold infestation and other occupant-associated
problems. Any time a building is renovated, a variety of potential
contaminants may also be introduced.
have asked if there are any blood or other tests that can be conducted
to determine the cause of your problems. Such tests could include
tests for common allergens such as mold, carboxyhemoglobin if one
suspects carbon monoxide and a number of metals if one suspects
exposure to metallic contaminants such as mercury, lead, arsenic,
etc. Such tests should only be done if there is a good reason to
do so and should be conducted in consultation with your physician.
There is no test that can confirm exposure to formaldehyde.
pronounced paleness, gray facial coloring as indicated previously
is unusual. As such, it is likely to be a good clue as to the cause
of illness. A trained occupational health physician (I recommend
Dr. Robert McClellan who has practiced in your community and is
nationally known) may be able to diagnose your health problems based
on this and other symptoms. My initial thought is that biocides
used with the hair padding or other materials present would be a
good place to start.